Allphones Arena is ranked in the Top 10 arenas in the world and is the largest indoor entertainment and sporting arena in Australia.
Designed and constructed by Abigroup Ltd in conjunction with Obayashi Corporation, the venue is acknowledged by experts as equal to the finest indoor arenas in the world today.
One of the major venues for the Sydney 2000 Olympic and Paralympic Games, Allphones Arena hosted artistic gymnastics, trampoline, the basketball finals and wheelchair basketball.
The AU$200 million complex was designed and constructed to set new benchmarks in urban design, access for people with disabilities, spectator comfort, operation efficiency and Olympic serviceability.
The total project is comprised of 3 individual sub sites;
- Allphones Arena, a 21,000 seat fully enclosed arena built under a 'Build, Own, Operate & Transfer' (B.O.O.T.) contract: AU$190 million
- 3400 space car park designed for high volume traffic entry and egress under a design and construct contract: AU$25 million
- Plaza and external works covering over 32,000m2 under a management contract then converted to a lump sum: AU$25 million
Allphones Arena was designed and constructed with very high environmental values and was awarded the prestigious national Banksia Award for Construction Practices in 1999.
Officially opend by the Premier of NSW, Mr Bob Carr, in November 1999 with a gala performance by Luciano Pavarotti, Allphones Arena has hosted events including Supercross, tennis, rock concerts, arena musicals, religious services, school spectaculars and banquets.
A Nine Entertainment venue, proudly managed by AEG Ogden.
|Facts & Figures|
- 25696m3 of concrete - enough to fill eight & a half Olympic swimming pools
- 1,884 tonnes of reinforcing steel - the weight of 339 adult African elephants
- 25 kms of roof purlins (steel roofing beams) - distance from Parramatta to Sydney City
- 1,235 tonnes of roof - weight of three Boeing 747's
|Total Building Cost
|Maximum Seating Capacity
||Up to 21,000|
||70,420m2 or eight rugby union fields|
|Building Foot Print
||20,000 m2 or 592 standard buses side by side|
|Height from floor to roof
||39 metres or more than 18 seven foot tall basketballers standing on top of each other|
||Roof masts which stand 42 metres above ground level|
|| 18 months|
|Video, Scoreboard & TV
||200 television monitors are located around the venue, from the food courts on main concourse to the bars on upper concourse - ensuring you won't miss a thing.|
Four large scoreboards can be centrally hung in the Main Arena when required for Sporting Events.
||P1 - 3,400 space eight level car park is located adjacent to Allphones Arena|
|Permanent & Event Staff
||Approximately 40 permanent & 700 event related staff|